Monday, June 26, 2017

BOOK LAUNCH Q&A: DARIN GIBBY AUTHOR OF CHASING HINDY



In addition to a thriving career as a novelist, author Darin Gibby is also one of the country’s premiere patent attorneys and a partner at the prestigious firm of Kilpatrick Townsend (www.kilpatricktownsend.com). With over twenty years of experience in obtaining patents on hundreds of inventions from the latest drug delivery systems to life-saving cardiac equipment, he has built IP portfolios for numerous Fortune 500 companies. In addition to securing patents, Gibby helps clients enforce and license their patents around the world, and he has monetized patents on a range of products.

Darin’s first book, Why Has America Stopped Inventing?, explored the critical issue of America’s broken patent system.  His second book, The Vintage Club, tells the story of a group of the world’s wealthiest men who are chasing a legend about a wine that can make you live forever. His third book, Gil, is about a high school coach who discovers that he can pitch with deadly speed and is given an offer to play with the Rockies during a player’s strike. Gil soon discovers, however, that his unexpected gift is the result of a rare disease, and continuing to pitch may hasten his own death.
With a Bachelor of Science degree in mechanical engineering and a Master of Business Administration degree, he is highly regarded in Denver’s legal and business community as a patent strategist, business manager, and community leader. He is also a sought-after speaker on IP issues at businesses, colleges and technology forums, where he demonstrates the value of patents using simple lessons from working on products such as Crocs shoes, Izzo golf straps and Trek bicycles.
An avid traveler and accomplished triathlete, Darin also enjoys back country fly-fishing trips and skiing in the Rocky Mountains. He lives in Denver with his wife, Robin, and their four children.
His latest book is the thriller, Chasing Hindy.

WEBSITE & SOCIAL LINKS:

WEBSITE | TWITTER | FACEBOOK


About the Book:

Title: Chasing Hindy
Author: Darin Gabby
Publisher: Koehler Books
Pages: 284
Genre: Thriller

ADDY’S DREAM AS a patent attorney is to help bring a ground breaking energy technology to the world. Addy’s hopes soar when she is wooed by Quinn, an entrepreneur, to join his company that has purportedly invented a car that can run on water using an innovative catalyst. After resigning her partnership to join Quinn, Addy discovers things aren’t as they seem. The patent office suppresses the company’s patent applications and her life is threatened by unknown assailants if she doesn’t resign.

When she is arrested for stealing US technology from the patent office she realizes Quinn has used her. Now, Addy must find a way to clear her name while salvaging her dream of propelling this technology to the world, all while powerful forces attempt to stop her.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Amazon | Barnes & Noble


After your book was released, what was the first thing you did when getting ready for your book launch?

Setting up my social networks to make the announcement.

After that, what was your next step?

Finding a good marketing firm to handle my book tour, giveaways, reviews, etc.

Did you do anything different to spice up your website in lieu of your upcoming book release?

I revamped my website a few months ago since two of my books were being released within a few months of each other.  I spend a lot of time designing the site.  I believe that your website is your face to your readers, and I wanted it to look sharp. Check out www.daringibby.com and let me know what you think.

Did you ever consider using a PR agency to help you promote your book or did you prefer the DIY route?

I have used a PR agency with all of my books.  I do this for several reasons.  First, I believe in using experts as they are more efficient. Second, since I am a practicing attorney, I have very limited time. And third, they usually can open doors that I can’t.

Were finding reviews a top priority for you and, if yes, how did you approach that?

Yes, a top priority. I get reviews in multiple ways.  I ask for volunteers, reach out to Amazon reviewers and have my PR firm help out.

What are your views on social media for marketing your book?

I love using social media to sell books—but not too much.  I usually make my initial splash, then only follow up every few months.  Your friends will get sick of you if you abuse them on social media.

What social media has worked best for you?

LinkedIn and Facebook have generated the most sales for me.

Did you write a press release and do you think it worked for you?

Only for my first book, then I realized those days have long passed.  I don’t bother anymore.

Did you revamp your author’s page at Amazon in any way to prepare for the launch (https://authorcentral.amazon.com/)?

I just did some updating to include my books.

Did you have other books you offered for free in order to help sell your present book?

I just did a freebie for my first book, Why Has America Stopped Inventing?  It was a huge success.  I’d love to do more, but my publisher isn’t so hip on it.

Did you set up booksignings and, if so, how did that work for you?

I’ve done a few at Barnes and Noble.  I had decent success, but a good promotion using a discount is usually far more effective.

Did you create a book trailer?

I did for The Vintage Club.  Here is the link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8fyebbxwRY

Did you time your book launch around a certain holiday?
Not usually, but for my last book, Gil, we timed it around the baseball playoffs.  That was a brilliant move, especially with the popularity of the World Series.  Sales soared!

What was the best money you ever spent on your book launch?

Doing promotions where you drop the price of the book for a week.

Any tips for those authors wanting to set up a successful book launch?

I don’t think there is any one thing that you can count on.  Try all kinds of approaches, see what works best for you, and then go with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment